Repulsion between Magnets
Aim: To study the repulsive force between two magnets
Apparatus used in the experiment: Weighing machine, 2 Neodymium magnets, acrylic tube, Nylon rod, measuring scale.
Apparatus to be used by you: 15cm or 30cm ruler.
- Two neodymium magnets are placed on the weighing machine in the repulsive mode using acrylic pipe and nylon rod.
- The “TARE” button is pressed before beginning the experiment.
- In order to decrease distance between the magnets, nylon rod is used to push down the upper magnet.
- Reading on weighing machine are in “g” for all the videos and images.
- Observe the video given below.
- Generate the data for force (F) between the magnets as the distance (x) between them changes.
- Make the measurements with 2% uncertainty in the measured data and comment on the method used for the same.
- Use the following photographs to generate the data
- Plot a suitable graph to determine the relation between the force and the distance between the two magnets.
In order to get your response, we are providing you with a google form. So that, we can get an idea about
- your data collection techniques,
- variables chosen for measurements,
- your data and
- the graphs that you will plot.
The google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UEFWupY-wUd0EGyt1bLg-8DlXJVZzhFXEXNXlGhYrDU/edit
Use the spreadsheet for calculations if needed: spreadsheet
You may download the graph sheet to plot the graph: Graph Sheet
What is meant by 1% uncertainty in the measurement of data?
When we say that we want to measure a variable, y with 1% uncertainty, it means that
It means that the measured quantity is at least 100 times the least count.